Monday, February 13, 2012

Build Server - I thought it would take a couple hours

Working Late Again
My goal is to create a continuous integrated development environment for ELMS Advantage Online.   I want changes that are checked into the my source control by any of the developers to automatically get updated on the build server, compiled and deployed in the User Acceptance Testing environment.

Step 1:   Get access to the SVN repository from the Build Server.  This was fairly easy and I was able to create an instance of the source on the build server.

Step 2:   Use MSBuild to build the solution.    Not so easy.  

  • This resulted in applying Service Pack 2 to the 2003 server.
  • Install .Net 4.0 Framework.
  • Install the Visual Studio 2010  re-distributional package
  • Update the Windows SDK to 7.1
  • Resolve conflicts with SDK because VS2010 expects SDK 7.0A

Next steps will be to automatically build the application and monitor the SVN repository for changes.   I will be using TeamCity from JetBrains.   I will keep you posted on the next steps.    

The time that I will save by not having to do periodic updates to test environments for testing, demos, etc... will be invaluable.  It is well worth the time I am spending now.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home